My Lovely Followers

Thursday, 11 September 2014

Tim Holtz Autumn Leaves Backlit Canvas

Hey everyone, hope you are well :-) I am here with a special project for one of my closest male friends. He went out of his way to make my birthday really special this year so I wanted to make something special that showed how much I appreciate him. 
I had the idea to do a backlit canvas with led fairylights as these dont get hot. 
I started with a plain canvas, cardstock to cover this canvas and the fairylights. 
First I arranged the fairylights in the back to give as even a light as I could manage, then I sewed and glued the lights into the reverse of the canvas. I then cut a sheet of cardstock to cover the front of my canvas.
Next I die cut leaves using a Tim Holtz die, and on the plain cardstock I used the negative die cut to sketch the leaf shapes in a line travelling up and across the canvas. I then cut the cardstock on the edges of the leaves, leaving enough to keep the leaves on the canvas, but where I could bend and shape my leaves to show light around the cut edges. I then drew round these leaves with versamark inks and embossed with gold embossing powder. I then used the negative die cut to sponge colour of distress inks I wished to use onto these leaves. Next I coloured the die cut leaves with these inks, and stamped script designs onto the background. I shaped these also and then found a stamp of leaves which I stamped with these same colours too, then cut out leaving a little border around the edge. I shaped these too.
I then arranged all the remaining leaves and made sure I was happy with the shaping.
I had to wait until the evening to see how it looked but I was very happy with the result. In reality it has a lovely warm white light glow, but my camera didnt like taking photos in the dark and made the colour look different!
Close up of the leaves-if you look closely you can see the embossed leaves are off the bottom layer of cardstock, and you can see the script on the coloured leaves.
The canvas in the dark-its actually a warm white colour in reality but my camera didnt like taking photos in the dark!
Close up of the leaves-if you look closely you can see the embossed leaves are off the bottom layer of cardstock, and you can see the different levels of light the leaves create on the canvas.
I really hope he likes it and you enjoy looking at my project too :-)

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:
Thank you for looking and for all your lovely comments!

16 comments:

  1. Gosh truly beautiful and a sign autumn is on its way x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Elaine. The leaves are beautiful and love the colours.
    Hugs Sharon. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, This is stunning, I'm sure your friend will love it....
    Thank you for joining in our first challenge, Good luck.... Sylvia DT " Not Just Cards" x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! I'm sure your friend will love it! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic creation,really lovely but clever too
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAW I love the idea of your work - fantastic creation :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this
    Thank you for joining this week at Not Just Cards Good luck and We hope you'll join us again soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely gorgeous!! It looks amazing with the lights on!! What a fabulous project!! Thanks so much for playing along at Craftin Desert Divas!!

    Lisa
    CDD DT
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is a truly fabulous project. I love the way the leaves cascade across the canvas. And the lights behind give a wonderful extra dimension. Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great and creative project!!! Well done! Thanks so much for sharing and joining us at Divas by Design this week. Hugs, Mirella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful trail of leaves! Thanks for joining in with The Male Room~

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fabulous! It looks amazing lit up. Thanks so much for playing with us this week at Craftin Desert Divas. Hope to see you again soon :)

    michelle (Craftin Desert Divas DT)
    Purple Monkey Moments

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is so gorgeous!!! Love this idea. :D
    Hugs,
    Deborah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous - love it hun..Thank you for sharing with us Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you in future challenges
    Hugz Elaine aka Ellapu x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Fall decor piece...love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...